Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Saturday, May 30, 2020

Rose Begonia


This particular one is known as a Rose Begonia also known as Tuberose Begonia. I often noticed this sold during the festive season - normally brought from Cameron Highlands.

I had few bad experiences with this and also checked with few of my gardener's friends who tells me the same thing - that this one is very difficult to cultivate in lowland climate. I believe this one do require cold climate cycle for it to go dormant and regenerate especially like in a temperate climate.



 I realized that many people who favor this particular one treat this plant as a cut flower plant - keep and maintain them for few weeks until the flowers are spend. However, I know the plant will survive but slowly will start dropping off all it's leaves and eventually the bare stalks will start to turn yellow and wither away.

There is however, a tuber underneath it and may require it to go through some cold handling - suppose placing the tuber in the fridge for 3-4 months and re-plant the tuber back for the next season. This appear to be like too much work and may or may not be successful - Just my thoughts.

I'm still wondering how are they cultivating these cold temperate plants here in Cameron Highlands, especially these and a few other plants like Fuchsias, Dahlias and Roses. They don't last very long in these hot and dry lowland climate and truly they become sad looking when they start withering away in the heat.


I may got my facts wrong in this particular one but I have yet to come across anyone who had claimed to have a success story in cultivating this one.



In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend anyone to cultivate this in their lowland hot & humid climate zone as this particular one will not do well in those garden conditions.

Begonia Common Names and Images

Here is the link where I had put together a list of all the begonias that I had come across. A database of all the different types & their characteristics. Please click on the link on the title above for the post.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month