I got this Moss Rose from my mum.
It didn't flower for a very long time until I placed it outside my house where there is enough sunlight.
It blooms gloriously in the morning (but I'm not at home during much of the blooming time as I leave early to work and back in the evening when all the show is over) That's one of the reason why I don't fancy this plant as I only able to enjoy these blooms during the weekend.
Somehow this variety is a bit different, as the flower stays bloom longer and bigger compared to the ones I had before.
Basic Plant Characteristics:
1) Sun lover - Unlike other floral plants, this one is hardy and drought tolerant.
When planted in shade the plant grows leggy without blooms, eventually the plant matures and dies. The roots do not go deep, and they grow as ground covers.
2) When they put out many branches and leggy, its better to trim & use the stem to propagate more plants. They can be planted using few stems together in a bunched and poked inside the soil. That way, when they bloom, the flowers are bushy and not singled & spaced out.
3) Once they finished the blooms and become leggy the plant slowly becomes dormant and began to die. So, its important to take immediate cuttings and replant them just after they matured or at their prime. This happens when a single plant puts out 3 - 5 long stems.
4) They can also root in water very easily, tiny roots appears after few days. But you need to make sure that none of the leaves submerge in the water as that may cause the whole thing to rot.
5) They need free draining soil, sand would be the best option. Too much water retaining type of soil may cause root rot and fungus. They are like the succulent type - so too much water is not advisable.
There are some variety which had been sold in wet markets as vegetables. The flowers are not so grand looking. I have not seen them for sometime. I guess they are not popular anymore.
These are the other two which I had before now gone extinct. I got this from my office mate, I had left it in my office for a day and the plant start blooming, there were immediate flower buds which bloomed on the next day.
These are temporarily planted together with my coleus. They were not replanted and had slowly disappeared. Somehow they become leggy and dry up. All these time, none of my Moss Rose had every put out seeds or self sowed. Once matures, they just die.
Update: 2020 March