Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Saturday, August 15, 2020

Different Types of Tradescantia Species

I often find this particular plant species taken for granted, sort of more like considered as a nuisance than a houseplant especially when they grow leggy and have this invasive tendency.

However when maintained and cared properly this one can truly be a beauty. I want to share my collection and my experience with them and my thoughts on this particular species type.

I would really recommend this one for beginners as they are quite hardy and robust and the plus point of this particular one always come with vibrant colored foliage which give strong emphasize in small space garden or a hanging potted plant.

This is the List of Types of Tradescantia species.
Do click on the Name of the Plant for more detailed information on this particular tradescantia to their link below:


















Basic Plant Care:

As I mentioned earlier these are hardy plants and easy care, however these are some basics considering them.

WATERING
These ones prefers daily watering however they cannot handle over-watering and may easily rot away if they are in wet feet. They seemed to do fine if they are underwater but may shed lower leaves for it to survive.

LIGHT
They require bright indirect light - too hot may cause them to have burned leaves and too shaded may cause them to become leggy - looking for a light source and easily break due being too brittle.
However if they are in their optimum light position - the foliage appears to be vibrant and colorful.

SOIL MEDIUM
I find they can do very well in all range of soil medium - a well balanced fast draining soil medium works best and they seemed to be a surface plant and therefore don't require deep pot rather shallow pot will do. Also they are very much behave as a trailing plant and works best cascading or trailing plant.

FERTILIZER
Above all, these truly don't need any fertilizer - I just spray my general foliage fertilizer to all my plants and spray together on them.

PEST
I find that snail & slugs seemed to feed on their leaves and can be easily taken cared of by using mollusk pesticide.

PROPAGATION
The best and easiest method to propagate them using stem cutting - trim off the bottom leaves (2 nodes) and poke into the soil medium and kept them in shade for a week until new growth appears.
Also they do then to grow longer and the matured bottom part of the stem structure appear to leggy and messy. It would do look good and neat when they are trimmed and replanted.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month