Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Wandering Jew - Tradescantia Zebrina (Updated 2020)



I had so many of these that I considered this as a weed instead of a plant.
Above all, I took this one for granted that I threw away a lot of them now and then.

Its considered very invasive and extremely hardy. Once its get out of hand, it will practically grow every where. The only thing that makes this one unattractive is when it gets leggy. I guess most tradescantia species does become leggy over time.

However, I still like the dual colors it gives, when in full sun - it gives a robust red tone, when in shade it gives the fluorescent "zebra" tones.

Wandering Jew - Tradescantia Zebrina
when in full sun - it turns in this robust magenta reddish tone.


Wandering Jew - Tradescantia Zebrina
when in shade - it turns more in this greenish tone with red stripes.




Ideally I would recommend to grow these particular one in challenging areas. Here it is growing at the drain-side slope where it is clinging together with dwarf petticoat fern. I admire the foliage coloration where it gives a nice strong contrast of red & silvery green tones.


There are few different varieties of this particular type which I had noticed and found. The one that I'm holding turns out to be in pale green when in shade but turns brilliant red (like the top pic) when exposed in good bright light (or sun)

The second one (as in comparison)
Appears to be in a reverse tones from the first one.
I doubt they are specified and identified and therefore - I'm just calling them as (Silver) for my ID.



Please click on the Link below for the Main Page
For other basic information of plant Care and Different Types of Tradescantia Species:
Different Types of Tradescantia Species

3 comments:

Kenneth Moore said...

Cool--these plants are common annuals grown here in DC. I see them everywhere and have been thinking about taking a clipping to grow at home, but I have not yet.

James David said...

Well Kenneth, my suggestion is think wisely before introducing them in your garden. They are invasive and not easy to rid off.

whytevee said...

i agree with you.. this purple beauty is very invasive..a few cuttings accidentally got thrown into pots containing other plants and took root..roots too easily, IMO..it's nice as a growing screen though..

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month