Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Taro - Colocasia esculenta 'Teacup' - PART 1


This one has a unique cuplike appearance - there are two types: One known as Teacup and another Coffee cup. Based on my experience - this should able to do well in aquatic setting but it had started to rot and I had to do some emergency work to save it and planted it on a drier side.
It lived but the size is two times smaller. 

I may have to rethink this again but I rather not lose my only surviving plant. As for now, I'm just leaving it as that until it grows bigger and becomes in a stable condition.


Somehow it is more hardier than the black counterpart, these leaves appears to be more robust and sturdy. However it does have black colored stem and leaf veins that adds to the unique look. Also these are very upright compared to the rest of the Colocasia family where they tend to slant sideways, these are always straight top to bottom.


The Basic Care & Cultivation is very much similar to the rest of the Colocasia family.




It has this unique feature where the water is collected at the center of the foliage - similar like a cup and will bend and pour out the water once it is full - often this happens when it rains.

This suppose to behave like a bog / marsh plant where it is semi-aquatic. As for now, I'm planting it in a drier soil medium setting - the earlier wet feet setting didn't work out well as the plant almost gone dormant and dead.

However, I still haven't got any new plant-let yet for me to experiment on them placing them in an aquatic setting.



I almost killed it growing it in a shaded area - once I placed it in the open direct sun area, it started to grow and thrive. I noticed it started to have more leaves and the stem more sturdier and firm. I'm guessing that it would prefer more sun and rain in comparison to the shaded types.

I still have it as a singular one plant and really hoping it would give out few pups as spares just in case this one goes dormant or kaput.





Click on the Link Below:

For Detailed information of Care & Cultivation of Colocasias &
For Other Different Types of Colocasia:

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month