Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Blue Taro - Xanthosoma violaceum


As I mentioned earlier about identifying them specifically - their names are used interchangeably that I'm really not sure which plant is exactly what they referring to. Anyway based on my understanding - I aware that these identification can be wrong (or the closest I can get)

I first thought that this was Colocasia antiquorum 'Black Stem' but the pictures were not clear and I could be wrong. However, I had come across a chat in a garden group where were discussing about the ID of all the ones locally grown and available in my region.

I'm calling this as the local name as Blue Taro "Xanthosoma violaceum"


This one is growing happily inside a drain-like container catchment I had placed below my Vertical Garden Feature. It grew happily together with my cascading orchids without much care.

Originally used as a food crop and therefore it had spread all round the swamp/bog/wetland areas in my region. The interesting characteristics about this plant is that it has 3 pointed lobed dark blue-green leaf and sort of border lining around the leaf perimeter of which I had never came across to any other Taro plants.

Also this one has a black stem on it leaves and that is only of my interest in collecting all the dark, black stem plants of these kind.

Characteristics:

Foliage: Not waterproof - water droplets appears on leaf.
3 pointed lobed dark blue-green leaf and dark border lining around the leaf perimeter

Stem: Dark Blue colored stem. 

Aquatic.


Also they have a lighter midrib coloration from the dark blue green leaf colors. They do great in size when planted in water feature areas. They can also be grown in dry condition areas but the plant size is medium to small. 



I also find that the leaves do not bound off the water drops unlike other Taro species where water moves easily around the leaf or bounces off as is the leaf is waterproof.


Plant Care:

Light: Bright Indirect Sun Area to Semi Shade Area.
They can be grown on direct sun but requires a swampy condition - loves wet feet areas.

Watering - They love over watering and can also tolerate dry conditions but won't grow bigger than usual in dry conditions.

Feeding: General Plant Feeding Care - not too particular as this is not a sensitive plant

Pest: Spider mites at underside of leaves.

Propagation: By Tuber Division.
When the tuber grows big, cut into several pieces and let it totally dry out for few days and plant it in a rich potting medium and observe for new growth. Once the plant-let sprout out 2-3 new leaves, transfer into a separate pot and let it allow to grow more freely with root space.

Also this plant do give out new plant sprouting from it side which can be easily removed and replanted separately.






Notice the black borders, this one is growing in semi shade and the coloration is slowly enfolding. I just love the contrast on the new leaf.




This is a beauty, separately it has an umbrella upright formation. The leaves are never uniform, to each has it's uniqueness - all of them are from the same plant.


UPDATE DEC2020

I think these pictures will give a clear identity of how this particular plant will look like in all it's shape and sizes - especially looking at the various conditions where it can actually change its features given different conditions. Here it is basically growing in it's optimum position where it receives a good filtered bright light and planted in a water contained pot where it never get dried out.


One of the unique features that I really love is to see the new foliage shoots where the coloration is watercolored shades of yellow, lime green with the thick accent of dark borders by the leaf edges.



As it grows bigger and taller, it canopies against the roof and gives that gentle umbrella kind of shade without overwhelming the garden landscape. The plant however do not overpower other plants in receiving it's light.





Matured leaves turn out to dark green and have a lovely dark black and blue tall stem as a visual features. These are what I truly love about this particular Taro - the mysterious looking tall stalks.





Though they are big and huge, they do not overpower or appear to be invasive in this setting.




Also do check out the Rest of the Collection of all 
the Other Types of Colocasia and Taro that I have in Collection:
Different Types of Taro - Names & Images

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month