Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Monday, April 27, 2020

Pilea microphylla - Rockweed


Pilea microphylla also commonly known as rockweed, artillery plant, gunpowder plant is actually considered as a weeds and rarely cultivated. 

They are easily found along drainside or mossy areas.



This particular one had started growing by itself on a kokedama ball, some of the seeds would had airborne or would have occurred from some other source and started to grow here. At first, I often pull off and throw them away as weed and as usual it still comes back time after time.

Then, I just thought it does look good when it was small and sort off create a tiny arrays of miniature plants and I had let it grow for these moment. Later did I realized that these are actually pilea species.


Surprisingly for this humble plant is being used as traditionally as folk medicine to treat several ailments. I doubt to recommend their uses as there are some contentions and require more research and study on these matters.


I would find it hard to believe if anyone is seeking to cultivate this one but if you do - these are some pointers:

Light
This is a shade loving, high humidity plant - do grow it in bright shade area - too hot & it will burn, too wet and it may rot away though it may able to tolerate and withstand wet feet.


Medium
I would recommend to grow this on sandy medium mix with moss. They can also grow on moss surface by the drain-side or on a clay bricks. 


Water:
This may require on humid side and therefore requires constant watering - too dry and hot may cause this one to dry off and wither away.


Propagate:
This is a self-propagating plant - so therefore do feel free to uproot them off if they started to sprout out elsewhere as it is invasive - one of the reason this is considered as a weed because of this reason.


Anyway, do share with me your thoughts on this particular plant - I hope you find this particular one interesting.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month