Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Monday, April 13, 2020

Airplant - Tillandsia xerographica hybrids


I have been keeping this one for years and their foliage structure still amaze me appearing like an octopus like tentacles - the leaves curls and cascade gracefully.

The ID seemed to be mysterious to me as it can be either a species or a hybrid based on the appearance my closest guess is that it is a Tillandsia xerographica hybrid.



If you notice the leaves are in silvery color - it has this velvet kind of surface where it is covered with specialized cells known as (trichomes) capable of rapidly absorbing water that gathers on the surface of the foliage. That is how they survive - when the leaves gets wet - they turn green.

Once they get dry - they turn back to their original silver coloration.

There are two types common types - the silver and green.
This particular type - the silver requires more care as they are not as hardy as the green counterpart.
And so - do be cautious on the watering regime as they can rot easily if over-watered.




However the one below is a true Tillandsia xerographica which I had purchased recently.
It is now showing new foliage growth as you can notice the spike like leaves from the center.


It is a slow growing plant and may get easily damaged if handled roughly therefore place them in a permanent location as they don't get stressed and avoid removing them often.

Some growers advise the gardeners to often submerge them in water and turn them upside down to drain off the excess water - I find that too tedious and requiring too much effort. It is best to tie them up side ways and water them daily if the conditions are right.

Do check out my detailed information on how I care for my Airplants on my link below:

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month