Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Monday, December 28, 2020

Begonia Semperflorens - Red Wax Begonia


Begonia semperflorens commonly known as Wax Begonia often have this rosy dandy flowers and the foliage structure is always glossy - hence it's famously known as Wax Begonia. 

I only have come across this particular variety been introduced and cultivated here in Malaysia and had not come across any other varieties or hybrids so far - which makes me to think that this particular one is actually from Cameron Highlands. 


Often sold for RM10-RM12, something that I consider is very cheap for a begonia plant but as usual, I had failed many times trying to propagate it and keeping this one alive at least for few months. I must say, it does have a short span where it's faced with the lowland hot climate.



Just like a Rose Begonia, I wouldn't recommend this for any new beginner or begonia collector as I had not seen anyone who speaks highly of this one nor managed to grow this one successfully.

Although, it is truly a beauty and I may just try again and experiment with it to find how to manage to keep it long term in my garden using the right chemicals for it flourish in my garden.


A little bit of it's characteristics:

It has the similar look with the common Wax Begonia but the coloration is much darker and the plant look more stunted and compact. Do watch out for root rot or stem root - as it does not do well when overwatering, also refrain from watering from the top as the flowers and leaves will start to fall off when the water stays on the plant.


Propagation often takes place naturally when the seedpod exposes a dust-like seeds spraying across any moist medium and that is suitable for the seedling to sprout and grow profusely. However these can also grow by cuttings but do make sure that there is no rot as the whole plant dies off once it fully matures.




I had found that this particular one can be challenging in a warm and humid areas compared to a cooler and cold climate areas - somehow this one behaves well together with Rose Begonias - similar for the temperate climate zones.

Begonia Common Names and Images

Here is the link where I had put together a list of all the begonias that I had come across. A database of all the different types & their characteristics. Please click on the link on the title above for the post.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month