Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Monday, December 28, 2020

Begonia Popenoei - White Begonia, Giant Leaf Begonia


One of the most challenging factors about cultivating a begonia plant is to able to gauge what they actually need - I find that as often as it seemed, begonias do have short life-span and may require constant care as they can face root-rot easily and often happens to the big leaved plant types.

It is still a mystery to me why this begonias still dies after reaching maturity but some do form many rhizome as it ages and form a colony however not all share the same sentiments.


Begonia popenoei; This hardy Rhizome begonia is commonly known as Popenoe’s Begonia,
White Begonia or Giant Leaf Begonia somehow has huge foliage structure and able to grow tall and upright in the right condition. 

A little history on this one, It was named after Paul Popenoe's brother, Wilson, a botanist. 
This particular Begonia is a native plant from Central America - from Guatemala to Honduras.


Just like most green leafed begonias - I find they do much better than the colored Rex Begonia versions. It does have a tall upright standing inflorescence but I have yet to see it.


Unlike most begonias where they are very much a small compact plant - this one is a huge and showy and therefore do take note concerning the plant growth size if you are having the intention to grow them in your garden, I for one had refrained from getting this one due to lack of space in my garden for this one.



 Begonia Common Names and Images

Here is the link where I had put together a list of all the begonias that I had come across. A database of all the different types & their characteristics. Please click on the link on the title above for the post.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month