Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Friday, September 20, 2019

Begonia Speculata


CHARACTERISTICS:

Begonia Speculata is a Rhizome Begonia with more toned down colored foliage where it appears more like a rugged leather parchment material in the appearance of dark coloration of dark grey - green tones.
The foliage surface appears like a corrugated effect.

I'm unable to find any details of it's origin - as I suspect it is a hybrid and may not be a native specimen. It does have some resembles to a Star Begonia 'Immense' and most like a hybrid from this parentage. However there are some close resembles with another Begonia - Begonia 'De Elegans' which might also be a factor of the mix parentage with these both begonias.


This begonia can fill up the whole pot spreading its rhizome all over the surface of the pot. These star shaped silvery leaves has a dark side - it doesn't shine.  It is quite hardy and able to tolerate over watering and under watering very well. I guess once the plant established itself, its more stable and fits to the garden situation more than its required care.





The flowers are rare. I had not seen them blooming often.
I believe this is the first time, the appear to be pendant, cascading downward in light pink.
Not a showy flowering plant but it is interesting to note the inflorescent. 




Do click on the Link Above ☝

Here is the link where I had put together a list of all the begonias that I had come across. 
A database of all the different types & their characteristics.
Please click on the link on the title above for the post. 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month