Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Begonia - Deco Daddy


Another begonia with a green issue.
Deco Daddy ain't so bad with the jagged brown frills which had a cobweb like pattern.

I thought this one was hardy but it was not.
It started dropping off all the leaves but none of the fallen leaves survived in propagation.

Eventually I managed to separate them into two section and both as doing just fine.
Just hoping the leaves grows bigger and stable.


I had also found that this one goes with many different names and have also have so many variants and similarities. I will have to go through and identify to figure out basically what are these.

As for now, the characteristics are quite unique.
This plant does so well and so no signs of sensitivity as it proves to be a good hardy plant for begonias.

I would recommend this for beginners.


CHARACTERISTICS:

Begonia 'Deco Daddy' is a compact rhizome begonia which has a striped burgundy feature on a star shaped foliage, foliage appears to have a spiral features at the center of with a reddish petiole. 

However this particular one is very sensitive to overwatering and any stress can be fatal for this begonia.


Some leaves have spiral formation and some don't but both are actually the same plant.







This was my latest begonia which was growing very well in this condition, I noticed the success was due to placing them on a balcony and was free from any water spray or rain on the foliage - watering was only done on a corner of the pot where it is free from any plant material - it was growing so beautifully until a stray cat came over and knock down the whole pot and broke most of the leaves from the rhizome - to make the matter worse, the cat started digging out the soil material and ruined the plant - I tried to salvage the best I can, first the plant appeared to handle the stress but eventually everything died and even the leaf propagation was not successful either and had lost the whole plant.

I might purchase this again and try my hands again as I'm more confident that these do very well in this balcony condition - with minimal watering and watering from a singular source area - few days once. 





Do click on the Link Above ☝

Here is the link where I had put together a list of all the begonias that I had come across. 
A database of all the different types & their characteristics.
Please click on the link on the title above for the post. 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month