Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Friday, September 20, 2019

Begonia - Floccifera


INTRODUCTION:

Begonia Floccifera is a native Begonia to Southern India particular in the Tirunervely & Travancore region where it is found in the humid forest of the Western Ghats around 1000m of altitude.

Commonly known as Wolly Begonia, it name derives from the Latin word 'floccus' and 'fero' meaning wool bow and to carry - referring to the wolly features of the foliage and the petioles.

CHARACTERISTICS:

This is an Evergreen rhizome Begonia, the foliage appears to be succulent with some woolly substance appearing at the underback and also at the petioles. This Begonia can grow very big and bushy based on the space available for it to grow.


If you would like green colored foliage begonias, I would recommend this one.
This is quite hardy, the leaves due tend to grow huge and they are hardy.
I had yet to see them succumb to root rot or crown rot.


I realized that I grew this as one singular plant without propagating any spares due to the plant size and garden space. Guess one is more than enough when the leaves spans huge like fans cover above all my small plants.



They do then to have fine hairy surface on the leaves, I wonder what is that purpose for.




The flowers are tiny and forms in a nice singular spray.
Gives a nice sweet fairy light bells like show in my small garden.

These tend to grow big, I wouldn't recommend this for small & compact garden space.




Updates on 18 Nov
(It's been 2 months and I wanted to follow-up on the progress of this begonia)



This rhizomes, furry foliage seemed to love the semi-partial sunlight area.
I'm concerned as its exposed strongly towards the open area where it's now facing the rainy season.

Somehow, even after the daily heavy rain - it still appears strong. 




At does shoot out long flower spike which is quite showy spray and now all of them had seeded.
I'm still considering whether to trim off these branches as the plant can focus on the growth rather than the seed formation.






Do click on the Link Above ☝

Here is the link where I had put together a list of all the begonias that I had come across. A database of all the different types & their characteristics. Please click on the link on the title above for the post. 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month