Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Friday, September 20, 2019

Begonia - Phuthoensis


The spider-web Begonia is truly remarkable.
I would consider this one is more hardy compared to the Rex Begonia counter part.

It loves shade and occasional in direct sunlight upon it. I can grow quite huge given the best media, feeding and growing space. Too much sun can burn the leaves edges and the damage can big when you find a upright standing stalk with a left-over cup standing (or what is left of it)


The flowers are tiny and white and has a winged like bells when its about to bear fruit. I had yet to propagate them using seeds. As for now, this rhizome begonia is happy sitting in one corner in my garden.


The spider-web like foliage somehow never seemed to bore me. It is truly mysterious looking.


Unofficially, this one got another nickname known as "Papadum" due the shape and contour mimicking a South Indian dish. Hence it became famous for those who cultivated this particular begonia.














Begonia Common Names and Images

Here is the link where I had put together a list of all the begonias that I had come across. A database of all the different types & their characteristics. Please click on the link on the title above for the post.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month