Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Friday, November 27, 2020

Callisia sp.


One of the most challenging part of finding out a common plant is identifying their ID. For instance - I know this particular plant had been in the gardening world for ages - often passed down from one generation to another like a heirloom plant - usually it comes from a grandmother who often says that this one is good to boil and drink like a tea - I still haven't find any reliable resource to authenticate this information.


What more elusive than it's name is there is no database that I can find in Google - with countless searching time - I had given up. Intrigued I suspected that it may not be a Callisia - perhaps fall into a different category such as a Tradescantia or a Spiderwort but even that I came to a dead end.

I had a little hope when I discovered some similarities of something known as a Teddy Bear Plant - However that is totally African and this is Asian. Another dead end.


As for now, I'm just setting it as a Callisia sp as I find that Callisia do have tendency where it can be edible unlike tradescantia species but again - I had come across that Moses Boat Leaves are also brewed as tea, hence it's more universal rather than specifically falling into a species ID.


Apart from all that. All the Care of the plant is very much similar with Callisia species - However this is a hardy plant which loves sun and prefers better in bright sunny area than planted in shade. Also do consider it as a trailing plant and it can become invasive thus do care not to let it overgrow on ground.


This is truly a very hardy plant and do not have much restrictions. The best control would be planting it as hanging plant thus control their growth behavior. Often it does get leggy just like any other types of this kind and thus it does require constant pruning and replanting in few month basis.


 If you had come across this one and know the ID, Please do let me know in the comment below.


Please click on the Link below for the Main Page
For other basic information of plant Care and Different Types of Callisia Species:
Different Types of Callisia Species

2 comments:

ЕЛЕНА said...

Tradescantia "Hijau Baru"

James David said...

Thank you for ID : "Tradescantia hijau"
I believe it is the local name.

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month