Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Callisia gentlei (Callisia gentlei var. elegans ) Striped Inch Plant


The name seemed to be a bit complicated:
Callisia gentlei commonly known as Striped Inch Plant from a spiderwort family. It shares a synonyms with (Callisia gentlei var. elegans)
I believe there are many variations to this particular type but as far I had found this one seemed stable and considered hardy.

I find that this particular plant seemed to thrive more on a drier side similar to a succulent like conditions, Too wet and it succumb to stem rot and dies. Also I find that it can also lose the stripes when grown in total shade and the plant does become leggy and out of shape as it stretches itself looking for a light source.


Just like most hardy Callisia species - the Watering, Light and Soil Medium is very much similar.
Also this one does require pruning time to time as they can get quite leggy and out of shape. The pruned stem can be propagated back into a new plant.


Another feature which I had found special is that this striped foliage has a nice soft satin feel sort of velvety - as there are fine furry hair on the foliage surface making it very much like a succulent type of plant.


I would say this one is quite a remarkable plant and hardy. 

I had come across it's inflorescent where it comes out like a toothpick from crown center but though appearing interesting with tiny miniature like 3 white petaled flowers it is insignificant and not showy.


 I also find that they have a tiny white flowers which appears to be slightly transparent, however these inflorescent don't last more than a day.






Please click on the Link below for the Main Page
For other basic information of plant Care and Different Types of Callisia Species:
Different Types of Callisia Species

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month