Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Thursday, January 10, 2019

Episcia Collection - Chocolate Soldier


The name reminds me of a character in Nutcracker: Firm, strict, disciplined and touch me not..
And of all the episcias which I can consider a female characteristics - this one is exclusively a male figure.

He doesn't like to be touched.
Any visible disturbance with this one and he will punish you by going dormant or dead.
Such is the heart of this soldier..yet, I wonder what is he actually defending.


I used to have another type of this kind which is more browner and hardier but as I mentioned earlier, due to negligence - I had lost all of my earlier collection. I had bought this about 6 months ago together with Kee Wee, Malayan Gem and Strawberry Patch for a very good price.

The purchase came with a long heavy stolons cascading and it gave me opportunity to propagate them and have spares all around my garden and more than enough to share with other gardeners for exchange and gifting.


Chocolate Soldier prove elusive and I had found they do tend to disappear with the rest of the other garden plants. I had to search for it only to find hidden with the rest. A stealth mode indeed for this one.


I admire these guys as they are devoid of green pigmentation yet they do very well in growing and producing beautiful blooms. Indeed he is a warrior species.





This is the plant when I first bought it (picture below)


UPDATED DECEMBER 2019

It has been like a year cultivating this particular episcia and I wanted to write some updates about my experience on this one. I had found that these bronze colored foliage types somehow seemed to be more hardy and durable too. 

This one is resilient and able to handle stress well. 
However, after about 6 months or so, they require pruning and re-potting as the plant can become so leggy and messy. If failed to do so, the plant slowly succumb to withering and slow death - the plant sort-off terminate just below the root ball and that is the end of the plant if not checked or inspected.

Their care & needs are similar to begonias - high humidity, shade loving plant and proper feeding regime to ensure stability and well balanced plant.

Below are the pictures about the episcia in my garden in this one year duration:








Episcia Names and Images
Please click on the link on the title above for the post.

Here is the link where I had put together a list of all the Episcias that I had come across. A database of all the different types & their characteristics.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month