Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Thursday, July 28, 2022

How to Care & Cultivate Begonia Brevirimosa



Just a little bit of a basic introduction this particular begonia, this is not a common type, I believe is one of the rare ones that is recently been introduced in the local nursery here; uh perhaps about five years ago this is considered one of the exotic ones which is considered very expensive but however now it is very much commonly available though the price is not so cheap however it's very much affordable now compared to a few years ago. 

Commonly known as Cane Begonia Brevirimosa. It is actually a native to Papua new guinea, there is another version of this which is more brilliant in red, which is identified as ssp exotica. So however this is the one that I've actually come across here in my region which is commonly available. I must say that this is not an easy plant to care for. I had actually bought this once and it actually has died in my hands due to lack of proper care. 

So in a way, I can say that this requires a little bit more on high care maintenance as these are not hardy plants one. The main factor that you must observe here is that these leaves and their foliage are actually very very fragile, so one of the factors here that you have to observe is not to get too many water droplets or even be exposed to rainwater on them, as they can get easily damaged. Of course, another factor that I want to talk about is the appearance. If you ever notice it clearly this particular begonia looks very much similar to the "Burning Bush", "Arabian sunset" and even "seripetala." 

So in a way, they do have similar characteristics; however I can say in a way that it is questionable that it can be a hybrid but it is a species. So in a way, they all are interrelated. One factor though, I can say is that not to underestimate the element of humidity because lacking which, they can die because these are sensitive plants. So coming back to plant care, one of the factors here is that I can see over here - that this particular begonias here has actually been cultivated and appear to be very matured and if you can see at the bottom of the plants, they are very much uh leafless. 

So in a way I feel (this is my personal opinion) I feel that this plant has already come to a stage where it is coming to the end of its cycle. So one of the mistakes the most beginners; beginner gardeners they normally purchase this plant thinking that he can actually spend for another one to three months time and eventually they just die away because of shock in a new environment or a change of atmosphere or climate and a change of plant care especially some gardeners may be very zealous enough to overwater the plant then it may start to deteriorate. 

So one of the factors here that I would normally do here is that I will keep them in a bright shade but I will also check on the soil medium to see whether it is soaking wet or just moist. Of course when it comes to begonias, it's always very important to check on the soil medium. Now over here upon inspection I noticed that this actually planted using cocopeat and also they have used manure for the fertilizer. In a way, I find that it is a little bit challenging, of course here these are nurseries that actually focused more on sale of the plant but as far as cultivation and maintenance is concerned, this can be challenging. 

So in this context, normally what I'll do here is that, I will actually replant the whole thing and basically I will actually repot, take out the whole root ball out and also change the soil medium into what I normally use, I always will use coconut chips with compost together with sand and I find that this actually works best for me in my garden condition. This is basically the one that I have in my garden, if you notice that the older matured leaf appears to be a little bit burnt and spent. I believe this is one of the contexts where I find that they are sensitive. 

Also if you look at it this, is how I've changed and use my planting medium which is coconut chips and sand and compost. The other factor that I also also realized is that when it comes to this particular type of begonias, they need to be in bright shade. And one of the most important things that I've noticed is that they don't do so well in a dark shaded area. 

So do keep in mind that keeping them in dark shaded areas can cause them to succumb to rot problems especially leaf rot and stem rot, root rot. So also observing them on a weekly basis to see that the plant perked up and also give out new growth especially this particular one, there's a new leaf you can notice and appears to be robust and strong. So all these factors are actually very important to have a check and balance on these types of begonia. 

Another factor that I actually put here, is that I find that this particular plant condition is the highest humidity that I actually receive and so it's actually been snuck up together with episcias and a few other plants which I find that it creates a very strong humidity factor. 

Obviously I do not have an element where artificial humidity is being used where I do not have a paludarium or vivarium or all those kinds of things where keeping them in proper balance and control. So these are actually exposed to my open garden condition. 

Also another factor here is that I noticed that after the plant has stabilized itself about a month's time and you can notice new growth, then actually it is nothing much to worry about as it is stabilized and has a climate acclimated in your garden condition.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month