Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Friday, December 20, 2019

How to Grow & Care Staghorn Ferns (Part 2)

Staghorn Ferns (Platycerium)
UPDATE: YEAR 2019

This is the 3rd Year follow-up on the Growth and Cultivation of this particular Staghorn Fern.
It is known as P. coronarium. Something which is native here & quite common around my region.


After 3 years, the shield fronds had completely covered the root ball with many cascading leaves sprouting out. I realized through years of experience not to water the leaves but just spray water on the root ball. Too much water on the leaves can cause them to burn at the tips and most times making the leaves turn yellow.



Sun lover, just enough light, not too bright and not direct sun - just lightly enough for the day.


The new leaf formation always comes out with furry surface.


It appears to be like hands coming out from the leaves.





I had tried fastening some creeping plants inside the rootball but without satisfactory results. Most of them dried off due to lack of water and nutrients. It lasted about few weeks but it didn't last long as the leaves started falling off.


The shield had been damaged by squirrels which seemed to be nibbling at the crown for the fresh banana peels which I put there for fertilizing. I'm not going to make the same mistake again.




No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month