Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Cane Begonia Maculata Hybrid 1 (Haji Nursery Origin)

I had found this particular Cane Begonia Hybrid sold in an exclusive nursery that specialize on rare plants. And so like most plants sold for an affordable price - I manage to get this small plant-let for half of the market price which is quite risky too in case if this plant succumbs to stress and dies.


Upon arrival - I had a huge mistake of not securing the plant properly and I had accidentally crushed a leaf. You can see the damage done and it took few months for it to eventually recover and put on a new leaf.


Upon inspection, I had found the nursery had propagated this using only coconut chips with sphagnum moss and perlite. Eventually when the plant grew I had used the same medium in slightly a bigger pot.


For the sake of identification which is virtually impossible to identify, I'm just going to calling a hybrid from the nursery which I had purchased from (Haji Nursery) and therefore it is easier for me to talk about the origins with my gardening friends when it comes to exchange some cuttings and as for some facts where identification is easier when it comes for discussion concerning their variation colorations and features.



Eventually the plant stabilized and started growing. It was a slow growth but nevertheless it was growing. 



Some characteristics:

It has slightly broad leaf with no white tip.
Also it has slight red veins on the back of the leaf with green back.
Unlike maculata wightii - this one don't have burgundy back.



It is a terrible slow growing plant - almost like a single leaf for a month, and just as that - an old falls away. This plant maintains like 4-6 leaves throughout.



I must come out with a strategy to make this plant grow big and healthy. The last time I had over fertilized it and almost killed it when I saw the burns on the tips of the leaves. Another lesson learned.




These are the pictures of this particular Cane Begonia Maculata Hybrid - the collection of the pictures over the months period.







The back foliage has more of a molten red faded tones and the spots seemed to be invisible in the pigmentation on the reverse side. I understand not much study and research is done concerning their botanic difference and variation and therefore - I have to keep these in note for personal observation.



 I must say this plant is quite sensitive as I almost killed it by overuse of fertilizer and over-watering.

It was difficult at first to restraint myself from watering the garden out of habit on daily basis. Now - I just lightly mist my garden 2 to 3 days once, depending on the situation whether if it rains that day.


Care & Cultivation:
MEDIUM:

Just like most Cane Begonia species - this one is grown on a medium:
50% coco chip mixed with sand & potting mix. I found this medium used for propagation by the nursery owner - I had slightly added the same medium type and re-pot it in a bigger pot.
So far - the plant doubled it's size.

FEEDING:

I started using 3-4 pieces of Osmocote as fertilizer - 2 week once.
Alternatively I spray root hormone (Seaweed solution) also used another rooting hormone (Vitamin B1) a solution for stronger root growth as these are prone for root rot.

WATERING:

Slightly spray water once a day in the morning and refrain watering rainy days.
I do water twice a day on a dry and hot days - it's depending on the weather.

Apparently they do better as watering once a week - again depending on the type of medium and the condition they are in. If they are located in a cool and bright shaded area with good humidity - this plant fairs well.


Apart from this variation.
Other matters are very much similar with the general information about Cane Begonias.

Do click below for more information on Cane Begonias.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month