Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Sunday, September 20, 2020

Cane Begonia - Begonia Maculata wightii X Mrs Hashimoto

CHARACTERISTICS:

Similar looking with a common Begonia Maculata Wightii features especially the circular dot on leaf surface, burgundy colored back - this particular hybrid has a very long white-tailed stretched features.

Also another thing that I realized that the leaves can easily damaged and may be permanently scarred and so do take great care not to accidentally fold or crack the leaves while transporting or handling them. Another factor is to give great care not to get the tail too wet as it would easily get damaged.

INTRODUCTION:

This particular one was passed to me by my friend. I must say it was quite challenging at first to grow this one from cutting. I was very certain it was going to die but with proper care this one had prevailed. I had failed twice growing it from cutting and my third trial so far is somehow in the managing state.


Dec 2019

This one is not able to handle too much water and therefore must be very careful in over-watering it. Also it is not a heat hardy - therefore do take care in placing it fairly bright shade area without direct hot sun on them.

Also, they are not fond of to much movement - do not place them where they can get brushed or disturbed as it can snap or break their fragile leaves or stem. Obviously they don't like to be touched.

Dec 2019

Jan 2020

March 2020

March 2020

May 2020

I had noticed a white tailed spot at the end tip of this foliage - I wonder if it is a different variety. Also the leaves are very much slender and longer. Then I check with my friend again and asked if I had heard him wrongly or had mistaken thinking it was a maculata.

Then he mentioned that he had actually passed me a hybrid. 
This is a Cane Hybrid of Begonia Maculata wightii X Mrs Hashimoto


These are the collection of the pictures of the plant growth over the months. It is actually one singular plant - I'm still concerned that if in case this plant suddenly dies - I won't have any spares and also it had not branched out and created any new shoots.



This Begonia has an appearance of being so fragile looking that I rather not take any cuttings in case if it succumbs to stress and dies. Also it is such a slow growing plant.



I have to exercise a lot patience on my part in cultivating this one. It grew so well and I got ambitious and had over-fed it with too much fertilizer and got the leaves burned. It did slowly picked better over the months - a valuable lesson learned.

Being Patient and Don't Over Fertilize.



Another feature I had found that this particular one do not have any dark burgundy shade at the back of it's leaves like most maculata wightii species rather it is plain green.



Even the new leaf shoots are pale green instead of orange tones. Initially I thought it was the condition of my garden but now I realized that it is a different hybrid. Below are the growth of that singular leaf and the colors - do notice the difference of the coloration as the foliage matures.



As I mentioned earlier about this Cane Begonia being fragile. I find placing a stick and carefully fastening with a wire really helps this plant to have a support. It can get top heavy and may snap by it's own weight.



Indeed it is a lovely plant to cultivate. I will update more on the this one when it flowers. Apparently it has lovely white colored flowers.





The leaf variation features both front and back:


CARE & MAINTENANCE:
Just like most begonia plant needs - they requirements are very much the same,

MEDIUM:

Just like most Cane Begonia species - this one is grown on a medium:
50% coco chip mixed with sand & potting mix. I found this medium used for propagation by the nursery owner - I had slightly added the same medium type and re-pot it in a bigger pot.
So far - the plant doubled it's size.

FEEDING:
UPDATE 2021 - REVIEW

1) STOP USING WOOD VINEGAR - KILLS THE PLANT
2) STOP USING MIXED FERTILISERS IN ONE MIX.
3) STOP USING OSMOCOTE - BURNS PLANTS.

CURRENT USE:
4) 1ST WEEK - DILUTED A & B FERTILISER - 1 CAP / HALF BUCKET OF WATER
5) 2ND WEEK - DILUTED VITAMIN B1 (ROOT HORMONE)- 1 CAP / HALF BUCKET OF WATER

I had used Osmocote fertiliser before and had found them very unreliable and unstable as to determine how much to use - too much and the plant withers away - too less and the plant doesn't grow to it's optimum size. Ideally using 3-4 pieces of Osmocote as fertilizer - 2 week once would be good but in case if it's over used - the begonia plant dies.

Instead I had switched to A & B diluted Fertiliser, spraying on the foliage and plant on  weekly basis and they show some growth and stability.

On alternative week - I spray root hormone known as  (Vitamin B1) a solution for stronger root growth as these are prone for root rot. Again I use in half strength - a capful with half bucket of water.

OTHER WORKABLE FERTILISER:
I had checked and done some research with other successful begonia growers and had found that they find these works best in their garden condition. I must say that different garden have their specific garden conditions and finding the right feeding solution as what works best in their own garden.
There are other successful fertiliser regime:

6) CHICKEN MANURE
7) COFFEE BASED FERTILISER
8) ORGANIC LIQUID FERTILISER


WATERING:

Slightly spray water once a day in the morning and refrain watering rainy days.
I do water twice a day on a dry and hot days - it's depending on the weather.

DIFFERENT TYPES OF CANE BEGONIAS

Other matters are very much similar with the general information about Cane Begonias.
Do click below for more information on Cane Begonias.
Cane Begonia Care & Cultivation information.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month