Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Garden Updates - Feb. 2011 - Part 1



My garden is constantly evolving. (whose doesn't?)
Anyway, the interesting part is my stripped leaved collection, I got a good bargain in getting a new addition - Earthstar, a type of bromeliad. I got about RM4.90 and I got 3 baby plants in there which I was very skeptical in separating them. Somehow they survived and had grown bigger.
(if you noticed the lower older leaves are smaller than the new top ones)
(2 pictures from below)


.
you would have a wildest guess that these are the pups and crown from a pineapple. I came to know that pineapples are also from a brom's family and wanted to try that out without spending much. These are about a week old.
.
.
.
Button Orchid in the Spanish Moss - seemed to adapt very well
.

.
My bougainvillea had suffered when this purple queen and a palm tree plant sharing on the same pot. It took a while to separate them and prune this to give that optimum look. I know that not watering the bougainvillea for a week might force blooms on them. Keeping my fingers cross in trying not to water them while watering other plants - though some splashs occurs accidentally.
.
Top: Not pruned
Below: Trimmed and the new look.
.

9 comments:

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

garden evolves continuously... adding colours to it, will revitalise the feel and enthusiasm. That colourful pandan-like plant is interesting!

p3chandan said...

Love your striped leaves collection and also your purple colour plant, so attractive!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

what a nice colourful corner of plants you have there. It is very fetching.

Makarimi Abdullah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Makarimi Abdullah said...

Nice collections ;) Your Spanish moss so healthy, the variegated plants so attractive.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi James,
Your plants are looking happy and healthy. I love that Spanish moss. Great job with the pineapple plants! I want to try some now, but I don't remember if it's still pineapple season here.

Stephanie said...

Glad you separated the earth star. Usually they will have 3 to 4 pups from the mother plant. Separating earlier promote growth of more pups. You have 3 already... so any new pup will be bonus ;-)

James, I am sure your garden is getting nicer after each rearrangement. Also I like the fact that you are including more colours into your garden.

Happy gardening!

James David said...

Bangchik - I guess most garden evolve time to time. That pandan looking plant is Earthstar, a type of bromeliad.

Chandran - it was a collection, came slowly one at a time. Eventually all the plants found their respective places.

Kadazan girl, Orchid de dangau,
Thanks for your compliment.

Sue - I wounder if you could ask any of the fruit vendors to spare you the pineapple shavings as these are thrown away without care.

Stephanie - I was a little cautious about separating them but was glad that I did it.
Takes a lot to resist not having all types of plant in my garden and often stop and think whether this one goes well with the whole collection. Overall, it somehow looks ok.

Autumn Belle said...

Unlike human beings where wrinkles start to form with the advancing years, a garden looks better with age. Your Spanish moss never fail to enchant me.

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month