Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Monday, July 13, 2009

Cattleya Orchid - part 1



One of my most challenging difficult plants. All those who says orchid are easy please advice me, as I have found it the exact opposite results on what had been said in the Internet. Probably its a marketing thing - say it easy and many may purchase it and if it survive and thrive then join their club. Otherwise, join mine - a struggling club.

For the record, I had few bulbs of cattleya which I killed by over watering and fertilising.
This is my second trial session. This time, I'm more cautious about fertilising. If you notice, I had placed 3 matured ones and the rest are the new bulbs that came from the matured ones. Placed used tea leaves as a top up medium on the pot. Its now almost a year, still waiting for the bloom to appear.

My trying tips:

1) Medium must be free draining - I use coconut husk & shells, charcoal and styrofoam pieces.

2) Watering - make sure it drys before the next watering. Like in my place, it gets very warm and dries up - so, watering everyday is necessary. When it gets humid, 2 - 3 days once.

3) Light - shaded area (no direct sun as it will cause burn leaves)




1 comment:

escape said...

You are right,I also plant orchid by coconut husk and shell,I soak them in water to keep water in side and then I put them around the pot,with little charcoals, put the orchid in with more charcoals and styrofoam pieces.And I spray water for them in every day, not much, just enough keep wet the charcoals and coconut shell that the roots can grow more. My email is phuonglovejesus@yahoo.com

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month