Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Friday, June 19, 2009

Plants that Didn't Survive Due to Wrong Plant Care (Orange Jasmine / Rex Begonia / Desert Rose)

PLANTS  THAT  DIDN'T  SURVIVE  DUE  TO  WRONG PLANT  CARE:

One of the things that cannot be avoided are the feelings of sorrow when a plant doesn't make it, especially when it dies under your TLC. Here are the list of the plants which by my experience would like to share and hope to enlighten the factors involved why they died.




Orange Jasmine (Murraya paniculata) 

I had actually rescued this particular shrub growing near an abandon housing area where it will be cleared for a new development. Unsuccessful in unrooting them, I manage to pull out some branches with few roots attached to it and was  trying to revive and regrow it even with rooting hormone.

Unfortunately within few weeks, the leaves starting falling out and was left with a dead twig. After few failed attempts I eventually purchased a stable plant from a nearby nursery for RM4.00 (considered it a good bargain, compared to all the effort I put in to get this plant to grow)  


My Rex begonia (first in red) is barely surviving. I guess this begonia is in the stage where I can say goodbye and farewell to them. If it survives, I would consider it a miracle. My very promising orange jasmine which died in stages. Later I had rearrange the whole thing. This was very much became a temporary thing. (the same as the first one on the top)



Sadly today, I discovered my 3rd desert rose didn't survive. (the fat one) It got rotten from the inside which I didn't notice until today (which is too late) I'm not sure how it happened as I was very watchful with the watering. Well, I guess its another goodbye. I managed to salvage the top crown and the branches. If it survives, its another miracle.




REX BEGONIA

My Rex begonia (first in red) was barely surviving. I guess this begonia is in the stage where I can say goodbye and farewell to them. If it survives, I would consider it a miracle. My very promising orange jasmine which died in stages. Later I had rearrange the whole thing. This was very much became a temporary thing. (the same as the first one on the top)

I had found that Begonias are super sensitive plants and may not do so well immediately as cuttings without roots - my first mistake is to plant them in soaking wet soil medium and daily flushing water on them thinking that it is just like any other hardy garden plants.




DESERT ROSE - ROT DUE TO WRONG MEDIUM AND OVER WATERING

Finally when I discovered my 3rd desert rose didn't survive. (the fat one) It got rotten from the inside which I didn't notice until today (which is too late) I'm not sure how it happened as I was very watchful with the watering. Well, I guess its another goodbye. I managed to salvage the top crown and the branches - hopefully it survives.

My mistake, keeping them in moist shaded area - these needed to be planted in fast draining medium and only required to be lightly watered once a week.

2 comments:

tina said...

What a cute post. One we can all relate to for sure. I kill my begonias all the time. Sometimes it is just time to say goodbye-there's always another day in the garden:)

James David said...

Wow.. I didn't know you had the same experience with begonia. Thanks for sharing.

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month