Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Cardboard palm - Zamia Furfuracea



I was looking for this cycad for a very long time and found it selling in a supermarket for RM10 for each pot. I selected the best 2 pots from the selection and placed them here.

When I first saw this plant, someone mentioned to me that it was called "Lady Palm Tree", later when I checked the information from googles and found out that it was a name for a different palm tree.

In fact, this is not a palm species, rather its a cycad. I had re potted this two plants in a bigger pot as I find that the root ball is getting out of the pot.



Common names: Cardboard palm, Jamaican Sago Tree (Zamia Furfuracea)

TIPS:
1) Very hardy - drought resistant, water when the soil dries up. Too much water may kill the plant. (root rot)

2) A slow growing plant - good for keeping them in areas where you want them to remain as it is.

3) Place them in free draining soil.

4) There where reports of pets (dog) eating the fruit and had died. It is true that this plant is poisonous, but in most cases, a lot of common ornament plants are poisonous.



2 comments:

mindspace said...

hey wanted to ask something.. you put these pebbles over the soil for aesthetics or there is some other reason..

James David said...

well, few reasons actually.

1) Easy to water, I use the water hose and often times the water hit hard and the soil washes off. Using pebbles presses the soil and the nothing goes out.

2) It helps to keep off weeds from sprouting and snails & slugs

3) And finally, it gives that aesthetic look and a nice snapshot (white background gives a better picture compared to earthen background)

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month