Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Garden Update - September 2013






















This is one of my Cane Begonias that had gone towering with non-stop blooms. It grew tall and now due to the heavy rain had descended down canopying my orchids. These blooms are edible. They are crunchy &  have a slight sour tinge. 

The flower buds are in coin shape whereas the mature ones are hangs like a pendant. These are rosy pink in colour, unless they stand strong in direct sunlight - the blooms tend to get into a deep red in colour.

The white spots on the leaf surface tend to fade too due to this shady area, if not - they are brilliantly evident.
This is a very hardy plant - literally handles well without any care or whatsoever. They do not have any pest infestation (unlike my Ylang-ylang & Spicy Jatropha are facing - ants & mealybugs)

This Cane Begonia is a slow grower when propagated from stem cutting. Once the new shoots start sprouting from the base roots - this would be the result. 






























I had bought this Mini Dendrobium Orchids from Floria (Flora Festival) recently held in PutraJaya. I got two of them (RM5 each) and wrap them up with a coco-husk sheet. Within these rainy season they started to sprout 2 flower spike. 
The flower lasted for few weeks.



























I would consider this one as one of the hardest orchid plants to have. Ionopsis Orchid seemed to be dormant all the time. One time - I had moved this plant to another location hoping for the plant to receive more sun-light and this plant suddenly died.
The parent plant died with barely another small off-spring and this is the result of that. 

This off-spring grew and gave this flower spike.


























This Oncidium Orchid seemed to bloom but not so much in the highlight as the spike are not so showy.
They somehow find their way in between the Bleeding Heart Vine and shaded heavily under them. 

























These Orchid Cactus had bloomed in the night which I had missed.
Sadly this is what I manage to snap. (Well - some evidence that this one does bloom)

It had been raining almost everyday and I'm literally not in the mood for gardening. Well the flowers don't think so - they don't seemed to mind the cool weather for these few weeks.



10 comments:

Stephanie said...

I like your demure looking Ionopsis Orchid! It is really nice. And your cane begonia... wow! the plant is looking really healthy and pretty. Good job! As with the weather, it is raining here again too James... I am not in the mood for gardening as well. But with the cooler temperature, I hope some blooms will just appear to give a surprise and your cactus orchid will bloom again soon :-)

Unknown said...

Your cane begonia really impresses me. It is majestic, with plenty of dangling blooms. You manage to get you dendrobiums for a steal. This time I went for the lemons and pepper vine at the Floria.

Mystic Dreamer said...

We get the mini dendrobiums over here too, but they certainly aren't cheap.

Bom said...

Begonia certainly adds color to salads. How do you prepare yours? I've just started on my orchid phase, mostly natives to my country because they are the most inexpensive.

James David said...

Basically mix it with the greens.
Add a table spoon of honey, squeeze half a lemon and toss them.

James David said...

These were available abundantly one time around and suddenly they disappeared from the market.
I think they were farmed in the different part of the country.

James David said...

Nice.
I would check your garden blog to view it.

James David said...

Thanks.
My garden is constantly changing.
And that is something I have keep up.

Jacqueline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacqueline said...

Wow.... James, your Cane Begonia looks impressive, so too all the lovely orchids you've planted. I wasn't aware that there are mini dendrobiums... hehee, I'm way behind time! Keep sharing and thanks, I've enjoyed them all!

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month