Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ground Orchid - Spathoglottis Plicata



These are locally known here as palm orchid.
(actually found out later as Ground Orchid)
When they do not flower, the leaves look exactly like palm leaves.

These are my second set of palm orchid. Slightly bigger compared to the first one. I enjoyed these flowers which lasted about a month, but they yet to flower for a second season.
I have few fertilisers for it - still not flowered yet.



A close up shot of this palm orchid. Pretty isn't it?

My first Palm Orchid (below)










































This was my first Palm orchid. (dying stage)

Unfortunately it died due to too much rain and lack of sunshine.I only got these picture to remind myself to be very careful with orchids
- one mistake can cost the whole plant to die.
I tried to revive this plant, but it died thru stages (flowers, leaves & finally the roots)

Orchids are sold cheap - A fact that many purchase them when they fully bloomed (which last for few weeks to months) and later discard when they are done with the flowers. (most people here do)

Some information concerning this plant:

a) Native plant of Malaysia
b) Common Name - Pleated Leaf Spathoglottis

1) Planting conditions:
a) Over watering may cause fungal problem
b) Need evenly moist - do tolerate few days of dry period.
c) Well drain - deep pots may needed as roots go deep.
d) May need more nutrient compared to average plant.

Im still experimenting on this orchid, will follow up when get more results.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month