Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Jewel of Opar - Talinum Paniculatum



Jewel of Opar
What a wonderful name
I didn't know it until I had found it out accidentally in
google searching for another species names.
Truly this plant lived out for its name - a jewel no less.
Unlike what it had been said about this plant being an invasive,
I had not experienced such.
More likely, that if this plant is ignored, it might just get disappear from my garden..
such small frail plant, yet have a beautiful little blooms.
I propagate this plant using stem cutting rather than seeds.
(seeds - they are too tiny that ants might carry them away or a one time rain - it floods and washes off everything in one shower)
Notice the seed pods (red coloured) - there is about 10 black coined shaped seeds inside it.











Its been very challenging to take nice shots of this flower, somehow I can get enough from this jewel.



It just rained while I was taking this picture.

5 comments:

Agustina said...

Hi, i've just seen your blog, and I was wondering if you have seen any kind of butterflies around, specially eggs or caterpillars cause a friend has the same plant and she recently saw a weird "worm". Despite being into butterflies, i have no idea of which one could be this time in this species.

loved your blog by the way!

p.s: i'm from argentina

Glenda - US said...

Hello,
I enjoyed seeing your pictures of the Jewel of Opal plants. I saw this plant for the first time last summer at a local garden center and had to take one home. I love the contrast of it's light greenish leaves. I took it inside for the winter and sprinkled a few of the dried flower orbs in the soil of another plant, and was excited when several new plants emerged. When large enough, I scooped them out and put them with my original plant into a larger pot. Currently it is outside enjoying the summer and has produced 5 flower stalks with the tiny pink flowers. I would recommend this plant for anyone wanting something unusual. I, too, plan to grow more of these little jewels!

James David said...

Thanks Glenda for your lovely comment.
Just a word of caution - Its considered as an invasive plant so do check whether its permissible in your region in growing it freely.
Some gardeners had hard time getting rid of this plant as the roots stay permenant on the ground and they keep coming back year after year.

Unknown said...

I am using and promoting this plant as an edible perennial ground cover in gardens. The chinese consider it a medicinal vegetable.

James David said...

Yes, you can actually consume it as ginseng, locally known as Ginseng Jawa

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month