Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Mexican Sword Plant

















This Mexican Sword Plant is an aquatic plant & that spells disaster when you find mosquito breeding inside them. The only antidote to handle this is to get Carbide (a mosquito repellent poison) that will kill the larvae and somehow doesn't effect the fish (if you intend to put them inside the water pot)

I would say, I was able to successfully manage to keep the little baby fish in the pot for sometime. I find only platties manage to handle the stress compared to other species.






















Coming back to this plant.
One of the things that makes them bloom is adequate sunlight. Too shaded and the plant tend to get very light green and leggy. I had occasionally find the leaf branches break under its own weight and it does look ugly when the leaves tend to get burned and dries. (so - occasionally pruning is necessary)

Other than that,
Its a easy manageable plant. I would consider it hardy and require less maintenance.
The flower spike do indeed sprout out baby plants (pups coming out from the spend flowers)
That is if you want more plants from this species.























Platties and baby fish.
These require monthly water change.
Failing to do so can cause the whole species to die. That's why a second smaller container is kept for standby. Just in case if any mishap takes place.


3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I like this Mexican Sword Plant a lot. Love to gaze at them every time I pass by one :-)

Unknown said...

I love it. I was looking for this plant's name. I have this plant but didn't know it's name.
Thank you, thank you very much.

Shubhada Nikharge said...

why is it called a sword plant?

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month