Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Indian Borage - Plectranthus Amboinicus



Common name: Indian Borage, Spanish or Broadleaf thyme and Cuban oregano
(Coleus ambionicus or Plectranthus amboinicus)

I doubt this is a coleus, they don't resemble any of the coleus or have any of the characteristics of the coleus plants. Anyway, I will leave that with the experts. Infact I had mistaken this plant for another mint species.

This is a very nice fragrant plant. Just by brushing the hand on this plant will give a nice "minty" smell. They don't do well in shady areas. Prefers good sun.

Herbal uses:
Several leaves are picked from the plant, washed and crushed and the juice taken treat cough and cold. This is traditionally used for children. (But the taste is very sharp....yucks !!!)
I guess all traditional medicines are like that.


4 comments:

Tira said...

Thanks for visiting my blog-you have a nice start to your blog. I have this herb, its very common in the Caribbean.
I have used curry leaves and they are wonderful, however I don't have a tree and its pretty hard to get one here.

James David said...

Curry leaf tree is very common here, you can find in virtually in most of the garden in my housing area. Thanks for your comment.

Anonymous said...

Good morning sir. Can I please know how to get/buy this plant in large quantity(2-3kg)? Thank you.

James David said...

I doubt they are sold in bulk as you ask.
Perhaps you can check it in nurseries but it may have to plant them a lot to get that much of volume.

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month