Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Fragrant Pandan - Pandanus Amaryllifolius



Common names: Fragrant Pandan, Fragrant Screwpine, Pandan Leaf/Leaves, Daun Pandan (Malaysia/Indonesia)

Botanical Name: Pandanus amaryllifolius , Pandanus odorus

This plant needs a lot of water to thrive. I have observed they seemed to do well in swamp areas. I got this from my office friends who had collected a huge ammount from his garden. Apparently he mentions this plant is so invasive that he had to clear it time to time to control it. (You will know when he is clearing this plant - when the whole office smells pandan)

The first few I had (and died) years ago and I have given up the idea of planting this fragrant plant. This would have been my 3rd attempt in planting this plant. Finally this one survived.
Then I got a little more confident and planted a second pot. Both of them are doing well so far.

I wouldn't consider this as a herb rather it has more of an aromatic or spice plant.
I had used it for cooking with rice and gives a fairly appetising fragrant when the rice is slowly been cooked.

Also it is considered a very good cockroach repelent. Cut the leaf and place it in the cupboard, wardrobe, etc.. The fragrant repels this insect.

Any other comments on this plant uses is much appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow i didn't know it's a good cockroach repellent, thanks so much for the info!...i used to have one in the backyard but decided to clear the area & uprooted everything, guess i need to replant it again..(redz ^_^ of phils)

Samantha said...

Great for cakes and desserts. Would love to grow but can't seem to find them. Have to settle for the frozen ones at market.
I love your blog! I'm happy to read about all your wonderful plants. I learn so much.

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month