Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Donkey's Tail - Sedum morganianum



Common name: Donkey's Tail, Burro's Tail, (Sedum morganianum)

I have been keeping this plant for years and it never seemed to grow fast. When I first bought this plant, I got it for 3 small cactus pots for RM10 - sort of like an offer price (3 for $10)

TIPS:

1) Donkey's Tail is a succulent type of plant. It needs like any succulent or cactus plant care.

2) The leaves are beads shaped and they are quite fragile as they can easily snap off from the branch when brushed or touched.
If the leaves spaced out from the branch - it means that its lacking sunlight. I think the best is direct / partial sunlight. They don't do well in shady areas.

2) The roots don't go so deep, in fact it remains at the surface. So take note that deep pot are not necessary for this one. The soil needs to be easy drainage soil as the plant dies in soggy or (muddy) wet soil.

3) Watering - water the plant after the soil had totally dried out. Its best to water once a week.
Lack of water makes the leaves "beads" to shrivel.

4) Propagation: Trim (about 4 inch) the stem and remove 2-3 nodes (leaves section) and let it dry out for few days before planting them. Placing them too soon after cutting on the soil may cause the shoot to rot.
The leaves may start to root and will also produce young shoots but this takes very long and only survive under suitable conditions.

5) Sometimes these tips appear to be right but the plant still dies. (Happen to me before)
The best way to identify the problem is do some trial and error. I found that adding another plant together with the donkey's tail helps the plant to survive and grow well actually. Its important to note that introducing another plant with donkey's tail needed constant check as to identify that the plant don't kill the host plant. (see below for details)




I have added another plant - (Tradescantia) to regulate the water in the soil as it helps the donkey tail plant to thrive. Eventually the donkey tail have a support to grow together with this plant and had created a symbiosis.



2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hi,

I've recently started growing a donkey's tail and have been having some problems. I was wondering if you had any advice? I've been having problems with the shriveled beads but the soil is moist and it gets great sun. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Rachel, Idaho

Unknown said...

Thank you for the information! It answered all of the questions I had about my spindly and shriveling Burro's Tail!

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month