Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Begonias - The Easy Ones.





























There is so much to talk about begonias.
A lot that had not been said about this species,
above all I would say the most misunderstood plant.

Reason:
They die too quickly when they are put to suffer.
Some begonias are actually meant for highlands especially the rose begonias.
Its a pity when many buy them and they end up dead.

The ones you can actually salvage are the lowland types.
These I find are slowly phasing out and getting rare.
I would recommend these types to adorn your garden.
Cane Begonias & Rhizome Begonias: Both are stem/stalk based types.
These are easier compared to the tuberous ones.

Below are some rhizome types which
I had successfully manage to keep them in my garden.

My tips:
For Rhizome type Begonias:

Planting / Propagation

Do not bury them into the soil,
rather place them in between the pebbles on the ground surface.
You can also sandwich them between clay-bricks and lightly place few pebbles above them.
This will help them not to rot
and at the same time achieve the required humility for the plant to thrive.
There will be grow extra long when the rhizome gets longer.
Trim them and replant them in different pots or space - as I can assure assure you accidents can happen when that a mother plant dies - you still got spares to consider.

Alternatively pass some to your family & relatives
that if one day when your plant phases out or dies.
You can always get a cutting from them.

Lighting

These begonias require bright shaded area.
Too shaded and those brilliant red will be overwhelmed by the basic green elements.
Again - when placed too hot - a direct sun can also spell disaster where the leaves can get burned.
Its best to find the ideal of both too world - high humility and good bright sunlight does the trick.

Begonias gives the best of various colours.
The garden just get beautiful when they are around splashing colours all around.
When you know their needs - it gets much easier and simpler to handle them.
I for one had managed to collect few varieties and they are now slowly adding more colour in my garden.















6 comments:

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

you do have lots of begonias.... the first one has the shape of star fruit and the colour of our local jambu air.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Thanks for yr comments. Verbanas are wild, but they grew in my veg patch , seeds that windblown from a wild patch next house.

Claude said...

They are pretty things... we dont have the humidity here to really grow some od these without a greenhousr, but they are very desirable

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

James, I do love begonias, but don't have them in my garden. Love the varieties which you showed. The 4th one from the bottom is absolutely gorgeous!

Linda said...

Beautiful series of photos, James.

africanaussie said...

You have a great selection, I love begonias, and they seem to do well in my garden with minimal care. I guess it is because I have the right climate!

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month