Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Dischidia Species

My favourite tree dwelling plants.
I'm suspecting that it is an acquired taste as I rarely find them sold in main-line nurseries.
There are sometimes they do have their comeback in some seasons but in most cases - its a rare find.

I have manage to get few here and there - some bought and some exchanged with fellow gardeners from their collection. They are indeed hardy plant but they grow ever so slowly like the Hoya species which also give another set back that they can slowly die if not given proper care.

I had not seen them bloom in my garden - where the flowers resembles tiny bells similar to a Hoya bloom.
Another messy plant with my Epiphyte gang - I just love the dangling, cascading effect from them.
I don't mind having more dischidias - locally known as duit-duit.

Often mistaken for dischidia -a parasite plant - Dragon scale Fern  (Pyrrosia piloselloides)
One of the things about this fern is that it can totally envelop everything and choke whatever that grows on the branch.
Again its a contention whether this fern is a parasite or not. Reminds me of the Strangling Fig that finds its way from the branches and invade the roots and totally choking the tree.
I wonder if this fern behaves the same.
















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking for Dischidia Pectinoides in California. Any suggestions?
Thank you

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month