Welcome to My Little Garden

Welcome to My Little Garden
Welcome to My Little Garden

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
There is something very serene and stable when I come and spend time in my Garden. These are my quiet moments where I seek God - listening and finding myself in that reflection. There are times when I'm not able to blog, If you have any questions or queries Do seek me out in Facebook and I will try my best to help you out.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Water Jasmine - Wrightia Religiosa



Its known as Water Jasmine, also known as Sacred Buddhist, Wild Water Plum, Wondrous Wrightia. Its considered a sacred plant for Buddhist - as you can see even the name indicate it so (Sacred Buddhist) and (Religiosa) but I really wish someone could tell me any story or legend concerning this plant.

I tried planting this one using cuttings. Somehow with so many unsuccessful attempts I had decided to start this with seeds. It took me almost a year for it to reach this height.
What marvels me is their leaves, never seen them so uniformly arranged - almost all of them in pairs.

It haven't flowered yet, I was advised that stripping the leaves and pruning may speed up the flowering stage. I had just done that last weekend. Hope it works this time.




.
These are the flowers, I had managed to capture them on camera. It was quite hard to get their image as the white colour somehow just appear to be like paperwhite without the tones and the whole thing is just a white blob.
.
This tree is been growing wildly in the abandon areas in Jinjang. I wish I could steal this tree away but it just too wild and big. Many attempts in propagating this using cuttings didn't help.
The plant look alive for few months but eventually die without any root development.
.
The fragrance of this jasmine is just so mesmerising that planting this jasmine and waiting for its bloom is so worthwhile - even if take years. This plant is suitable to make bonsai and very much marketed as bonsai trees compared to the original form.
.

18 comments:

  1. Nice job there James! Plant from seed easier? Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, I have never of this water jasmine before. When I first looked at the leaves I thought it was the curry leaf plant! What a great find! Where did you get the seeds?

    I too experience difficulty when trying to photograph pure white flowers, especially those of the jasmine. Can't seem to get a sharp image to bring out the real beauty of these flowers. The only easy one is the wrightia antidysenterica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie - Yes, seeds are so much easier, do try to grow them - you will be marveled at the growth rate.

    Belle - Actually you have seen this jasmine, its in Stephanie's post under the title: Sundal Malam (Mistress of the Night)
    http://stephgreenspace.blogspot.com/2009/10/mistress-of-night.html

    You can actually see the seedpods & the detailed information in her blog.
    Thanks Stephanie for introducing this.

    The seeds look exactly like the "lalang seeds" or more like a dandelion seeds. They are air-borne. The seedpod crack open releasing all the seeds to be carried by the wind.

    I collected the green seedpod and kept it to dry-up and once its matures, it released the seeds. Do be cautious with the fine filament on the crown, the silk may trigger allergy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a beautiful plant and that fact that it is sacred makes it all the more so.
    Great photos...even the flowers were pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Rosey - still wondering why is it considered sacred. It had been said that this plant is a must to be have in Buddhist Temples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha... if I knew earlier, I would have gotten some seeds when I took those pics earlier :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephanie - if you want do e-mail me your address and I can post some of those seeds to you.
    e-mail: jasmissier@yahoo.com.sg

    ReplyDelete
  8. C. L. Rosner from Southern New Jersey!

    I have been growing Wrightia religosa since October of 2003. I have one left, grown from seeds, and one from a cutting 2006. They are a wonderful tree, but require constant pruning to obtain a full growth of foliage. Flowers appear usually after the third set of leaves develop. The aroma is of Jasmine.

    Warmest regards to all,

    Carl L. Rosner
    www.carllrosner.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Carl for dropping by and your blooming tips. Appreciate it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi James

    i am from Australia,,,,love to have one of this tree, do you have any seeds left,,,any idea where can i buy this seeds??

    Nhan

    email: nhan_phan@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had send you an e-mail.
      We will correspond from there.

      Delete
    2. sir i have 4 jasmine bonsai and i have spend 10 years developing it. you will just need to water it and fertilizing it once awhile.If you are interested please send your request to 33tljlkp@gmail.com

      Delete
  11. Hi to everyone,

    I love that wonderfull plant,but could not have unfortunately. Once I could get some seeds but could not manage to germinate. I think I did sth. wrong. Now it is very good to see this topic for me as I feel I may have some more seeds.
    So, Mr. Missier I have just send an e mail to you, I hope you can reply soon.

    Best regards

    Gürol, TURKEY



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had send you an e-mail.
      We will correspond from there.

      Delete
  12. I have been growing Wrightia religosa for 20 years. I have grown one from seed, and the require very little care. More likely benign neglect works well!

    Have pictures, but I do not see how to attach!

    Carl L. Rosner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do indeed able to handle neglect well.
      Most of these cultivars are actually turned into bonsai for their ascetic values.

      Delete
  13. Dear James:
    The only Email I received said (no reply)...

    I posted pictures of my Wrightia religosa last night on my web site:
    CLICK ON EITHER URL: www.carlrosner.com
    or
    https://sites.google.com/site/carllrosner/home

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just installed iStripper, so I can watch the best virtual strippers strip-teasing on my taskbar.

    ReplyDelete



As for Anonymous commentors:
Please do write your name and place
(eg: John, UK)
That way, I know who you are and where you're from.

I really appreciate your thoughts and experiences concerning these matters. Thank you.

And please no spamers, products, etc - they will be deleted as the comments are moderated.

If you have any queries that needs immediate attention - seek me out in Facebook, message me and I will come back to you ASAP.

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Labels