Search This Blog

My Vertical Garden Wall

My Vertical Garden Wall

TRASLATION LANGUAGE (CLICK HERE)

Friday, May 22, 2009

Wax Rose - Pereskia Bleo



Common names: Rose cactus, Wax rose, Cactus Bleo & Leaf Cactus

I had tough time identifying this species name, firstly most of the websites are giving different species names for this same plant.

As far as I can identify these are the results:

1) Pereskia Bleo - has the orange flower (wax rose)

2) Pereskia Grandiflora - has pink flowers in a clustered crown (rose cactus)

3) Pereskia aculeata - has smaller cream flowers with berry like fruits - (leaf cactus, Barbados shrub, Barbados gooseberry)

4) Pereskia Sacharosa - There is a illustration that this plant has white flower, but upon checking most of the websites, it shows the combination of all the pereskia flowers put together.




Its from a true cactus family,
It is said to have medical properties especially when it comes to anti-cancer properties.
There are few ways of consuming it. (Use the leaves)
1) Eat it raw as a salad
2) Boil it (green leaves) and drink like tea.
I haven't tried it yet..
Said to have a high preventive elements for cancer.


These are the fruit pods.





Notice the thorns.
The local name for this plant means Seven Spiked Needles.
(Jarum Tujuh Bilah)
I had experience it when I collected this plant and wrapped it several layers of newspaper but thorns manage to pierce through the paper and I had hard time handling it.
Alternatively, I cut all of the thorns using a scissors.
I think it will do good for handling sake.
Would suggest when children are around playing in the garden.
This plant is messy and ruthless when it concerns thorns.
But somehow, it has a beautiful flower to be admired.
I wonder whether the flower can be eaten instead of the leaves,
they do have very decorative impact in salad dressing though.




This is the overall plant, quite huge actually.

9 comments:

shozaliza said...

this is beautiful flower

Anonymous said...

May, Ipoh,Malaysia
I am loking for pereskia bleo for my research project. May i know where can i get it in KL?

James David said...

hi May, There are few location where you can get them in KL region - mostly all growing wild. You might not get them in nursery.
Do let me know ur e-mail add. & when you able to come to KL and I can direct you from there.
(the location of the plant)

Keoki Stender said...

Thanks for your post. I also had difficulty identifying this species until I found your blog.

Anonymous said...

I have been curious about this plant and its fruit for some time now. Thanks for the information. I have seen this plant growing wild in various areas in my country. However,I need some verification that the fruits and leaves are edible as I was informed on another website that it isn't.

Anonymous said...

We have this plant, minus the spines/thorns...flowered only once...

Unknown said...

I am looking to buy two pots each of Pereskia grandofolia and Pereskia bleo (I think in Malay they are collectively known as Jarum Tujuh Bilah) for DNA/RNA sequencing research. May I know where I can buy them in KL?

Unknown said...

I am looking to buy two pots each of Pereskia grandofolia and Pereskia bleo (I think in Malay they are collectively known as Jarum Tujuh Bilah) for DNA/RNA sequencing research. May I know where I can buy them in KL?

Rik Shaw said...

HI I have that one, the flowers are very beautiful but they only last for one day (sigh).

About Me

My photo
Tropical Garden, Batu Caves, Malaysia
My Malaysian Tropical Garden mainly focused on unique and colorful plants ranging from rare to common plants all around the tropical belt across the world. Ideal for inspiration for challenging areas in the garden space - indoor gardening, balcony gardening and small green spaces especially for ariods, bromeliads, begonias, edibles, cascading & vertical garden plants, succulents & cacti, orchids, together with both shade and sun loving plants.

Contact Me on the Form Above

Do put your queries on the contact form above and I will come back to you ASAP via e-mail. Also I'm open for any business / advertisement proposals / magazine articles / product sampling and sharing personal product experiences here in my blog. Also for specific plant queries where you need to send pictures for free consultation and plant help and aid.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Popular Post - 1 Month