Common names: Rose cactus, Wax rose, Cactus Bleo & Leaf Cactus
I had tough time identifying this species name, firstly most of the websites are giving different species names for this same plant.
As far as I can identify these are the results:
1) Pereskia Bleo - has the orange flower (wax rose)
2) Pereskia Grandiflora - has pink flowers in a clustered crown (rose cactus)
3) Pereskia aculeata - has smaller cream flowers with berry like fruits - (leaf cactus, Barbados shrub, Barbados gooseberry)
4) Pereskia Sacharosa - There is a illustration that this plant has white flower, but upon checking most of the websites, it shows the combination of all the pereskia flowers put together.
Its from a true cactus family,
It is said to have medical properties especially when it comes to anti-cancer properties.
There are few ways of consuming it. (Use the leaves)
1) Eat it raw as a salad
2) Boil it (green leaves) and drink like tea.
I haven't tried it yet..
Said to have a high preventive elements for cancer.
These are the fruit pods.
The local name for this plant means Seven Spiked Needles.
(Jarum Tujuh Bilah)
I had experience it when I collected this plant and wrapped it several layers of newspaper but thorns manage to pierce through the paper and I had hard time handling it.
Alternatively, I cut all of the thorns using a scissors.
I think it will do good for handling sake.
Would suggest when children are around playing in the garden.
This plant is messy and ruthless when it concerns thorns.
But somehow, it has a beautiful flower to be admired.
I wonder whether the flower can be eaten instead of the leaves,
they do have very decorative impact in salad dressing though.